The CAP CALENDAR
April 2 to April 8
// Celina Kurz

MONDAY APRIL 2


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME
AHHHHHH I’M OLD LOL GIVE ME A PRESENT LOL in honour of my birthday I’m just going to post (in lieu of events) a list of some things that I love.

I LOVE BARBRA STREISAND
She’s hilarious; she goes after what she wants; she’s the kind of strong female lead that is rarely, rarely seen in modern cinema; she has the voice of six women; did I mention that she’s hilarious? Everyone, please watch Funny Girl, it will be the biggest favour to yourself.

I LOVE FASHION
It’s something that I take seriously, but not crazy seriously; I think the greatest thing about fashion as a mode of self-expression is that it can be just fun. I know there’s a dark side to fashion (too-skinny models, shopping addictions, over-consumption, etc.) but if you can use it without letting it take you over, it’s so much fun and really can make you feel better about being yourself and help you live the life you want to live!!!!

I LOVE OVERSHARING
I have no boundaries, you guys. But I don’t really think it’s that much of a problem? Like I can see it as negative in the sense that like, yeah, sometimes I can be kind of self-absorbed, but on the other hand, I also do really love hearing what other people have to say? I dunno, I just like telling people how I’m feeling on Facebook. And of course, I love Facebook.

I LOVE MAKING COLLAGES
I keep having this thing where I have free time and I should spend it doing homework but instead I just stay up all night making collages. It’s soooo fun, you guys! And since it’s my birthday and like, whatever, no one even reads this anyway, but I’m gonna shamelessly self-promote and tell you to follow my Tumblr where I post them at aqueenbeeseaqueen.tumblr.com. Hooray!

TUESDAY APRIL 3

TIME TO VOTE FOR NEXT YEAR’S EDITOR-IN-CHIEF!
Have you written at least three articles for the Courier and are a student at Capilano? Come to the Courier office and have your say about who’s going to be runnning things next year! Alternately, you can also run for EIC! FREE CAKE AND PIZZA. 12 PM. Courier Office (Maple building). Free!

PROBABLY A METAL SHOW?
At the Astoria! Featuring Black Mastiff, The Silver Skeleton Band, The Fatalz, and Johnny De Courcy, who I think might be my friend Willam’s brother? But I’m not 100 per cent sure! Anyways, to me, those all sound like metal bands. 9 PM. The Astoria. $5.

HELLO, DOLLY!
The music theatre department is putting on this classic musical romantic comedy epic! Check out our article about it in this week’s Courier and go see it Apr. 5 – 7 at 8pm, Apr. 1 & 7 at 2 pm, or Apr. 3 & 4 at noon. So, today you can see it during lunch! TODAY IT’S AT NOON. The Birch Theatre. $22/14/8.

WEDNESDAY APRIL 4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINA!
I love u gurl. Everyone give this chica a big hug, she’s very beautiful and also hilarious and smart.

ROCOCODE WITH GUESTS
The guests are Ryan Guldemond and Wintermitts! I feel like I’ve heard of Wintermitts but I dunno. I’m literally too lazy to find anything out about this band, I’m looking at their website and it’s really nice? I’m guessing by the layout that it’s like, pretty nice, pretty chill indie pop-ish music. 8 PM. The Electric Owl Social Club (926 Main St.). $10.

LIVE AT SQUAMISH LAUNCH PARTY
Featuring Current Swell and The Matinee! Maybe I’ll go to this this summer; I do love music festivals a little bit at a time, and Squamish is actually really beautiful in the summer. Anyways! Launch party? 9 PM. The Commodore Ballroom. $15.05.

LEO BAE SEPTET AT PRESENTATION HOUSE
Yay for jazz! My friend Leo Bae and his septet (which is mostly made up of friends of mine or at the least acquaintances) is playing at Presentation House this week. Leo writes some really cool compositions, and also can always be counted on for hilarious banter, so you should check it out. 8 PM. Presentation House (333 Chesterfield St.). $10.

TARTAN DAY
“SFU's Centre for Scottish Studies celebrates Tartan Day with the launch of their online oral history project, ‘Scottish Voices from the West’, piping, entertainment by the Gaelic choir and the Vancouver RSCDS, and a presentation on the Museum of Scotland.” 7:30 – 10:30 PM. SFU Harbour Centre (515 W. Hastings St.). Free!

THURSDAY APRIL 5

DID YOU KNOW THAT
In China they celebrate a day called “Cold Food Festival” and today is the first of three consecutive days to celebrate it! I guess you could eat a sandwich or a salad? Some cold leftovers (if you’re into that, cold leftovers actually make me vomit a bit though)? Look it up on Wikipedia so you can research it more thoroughly? NOW YOU KNOW. HAPPY COLD FOOD FESTIVAL

INSPIREHEALTH PRESENTS FORKS OVER KNIVES
I saw part of this movie with my parents and it’s really rad! All about the health ramifications of eating meat! Personal note, I’ve started keeping a “Meat Diary” where I take note of when I eat meat/how much – it’s been really helpful in helping me really get a gauge on things! Anyways, the film will be followed by a question period with panel of experts – fun! 7 – 10 PM. The Ridge Theatre Vancouver (3131 Arbutus St.). $20.

THE WEDDING PRESENT W/ PINKY PIGLETS
Never heard of either of these bands. “The Wedding Present … will … be playing their 1991 album Seamonsters in full. Seamonsters was their most successful album in North America … and the first to be recorded for them by Steve Albini (at Pachyderm Disc studios in Minnesota).” 8 PM. The Biltmore. $16.

FRIDAY APRIL 6

GOOD FRIDAY
Thing I always wondered back in Sunday School back in the days that I was a super-Christian: why is it called Good Friday if Jesus is dying? Why isn’t it called Bad Friday? Think about it. It doesn’t make any sense. This might be why I’m no longer religious.

CHAIRLIFT W/ NITE JEWEL
Brooklyn synth-pop duo supporting the release of their newest album Something. If you're also friends with my friend Giles then he's undoubtedly hounded you to watch their artsy video for "Amanamonesia", during which vocalist Caroline Polachek does interpretive dance. Please do that live, Caroline. 8 – 11 PM. The Electric Owl. $13.

COINCIDENTALLY MY BIRTHDAY PARTY
Come get wasted and do some karaoke with me! I’m going to just do the entire soundtrack to Funny Girl, I think. Or maybe I’ll do a combo “Don’t Rain On My Parade”/“Before the Parade Passes By.” Parade themed! 8 PM. The Pressbox. Cost of you buying me a drink ;)

MUSIC WASTE FUNDRAISER
Holy shit! Maybe I’ll go to this as well? Watermelon, Random Cuts, Love Cuts, and Slim Fathers! DJs! Dancing! This sounds awesome. I Love Fun. Yeah, I think I’m just gonna end up here. I feel like I put this in the calendar last week by accident? 10 PM – 2 AM. The Astoria. $5 before 11!

SHOW AT THE RICKSHAW
This also seems cool! But I doubt I’ll be able to make it to THREE things in one night. I just don’t have the stamina. Typhoon plays with guests Kellarissa (does stuff with Rose Melberg sometimes!) and Bleating Hearts (many-piece love-orchestra! At least from what I remember. Possibly I am mixing them up with someone else). 8 PM. The Rickshaw Theatre. $12.

SATURDAY APRIL 7

2012 WORLD WIDE PILLOW FIGHT CLUB 7.0
I think I’m gonna do this with my sister! It’s simple: just carry around a pillow and then exactly at the right time, start pillow fighting! Then leave! Don’t be a dick, don’t hurt anybody, and just have fun for exactly half and hour then stop. I love my sister! 3 – 3:30 PM. Vancouver Art Gallery. Free!

SHOW AT GRACELAND
(Graceland formerly The Mansion). Velvet Fist, KMVP, SLOWFAST, Noisy Tits, and Bath House play a show! I’m not super familiar with all these bands but KMVP is literally one of my favourite fucking bands right now, my band is covering their song “Nobody’s Down With Sexist Movies” at our show tomorrow (tomorrow being … last Saturday). 6 – 11 PM. Graceland (“ask around”). By Donation (for touring bands).

JAMES
Omg! I definitely went through a period when I was completely obsessed with the song “Laid”. “This bed in on fire with passion and love/the neighbours complain about the noises above/but she only comes when she’s on top”! Sooooo goooood. 7 PM. The Commodore Ballroom. $44.

SPRING FLOWER SALE AND SHOW
Ever wanted to see things that lack consciousness compete to be the prettiest? The Alpine Garden Club of B.C. presents a judged show of “live plants in 65 categories including many rock-garden plants and primulas, bonsai, dwarf conifers, dwarf rhodos, ferns, and more.” Flowers will also be on sale! 1 – 4 PM. VanDusen Botanical Garden Floral Hall (5251 Oak St.). Free!

SUNDAY APRIL 8

GOTYE
YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO CUUUUUT ME OUT/GET YOUR FRIENDS SOMETHING RECORDS AND THEN CHANGE YOUR NUMBER/AND I DON’T EVEN NEED YOUR LOVE BUT YOU TREAT ME LIKE A STRANGER AND IT FEELS SO ROUGH 9 PM. The Vogue Theatre. SOLD OUT!

EASTER SUNDAY!!!!
There are probably like a million easter egg hunts happening today, so just google like, “[insert your city name] easter egg hunt” and you’ll find one. There we go! You’re welcome, everybody. I’m glad I could help.

CHRISTIAN EASTER SUNDAY
Have fun trying to convince your kids that Easter is more important than Christmas lol. Also that Easter “isn’t just about candy”.

DEE DANIELS AT JAZZ VESPERS
Dee Daniels is a great local jazz vocalist; check this show out! And the sound in St. Andrew’s-Wesley is incredible, sure to be a once in a lifetime experience! 4 PM. St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church. By Donation!


//Celina Kurz, copy editor

Enjoy it? Share this on Facebook

Comments

 
© 2011 The Capilano Courier. phone: 604.984.4949 fax: 604.984.1787 email: editor@capilanocourier.com