THE CAP CALENDAR
Jan. 30 - Feb. 5
// Celina Kurz


MONDAY JAN. 30

JJ MONDAY
Today's calendar Monday is brought to you by JJ because he accidentally turned off my computer when I was writing the calendar and I'm a dummy and I forgot to save periodically, so he felt bad! My lesson learned. Anyways, enjoy JJ Monday!
ALICE IN WONDERLAND.
Editor-in-Chief Samantha Thompson’s younger sister ZoĆ« stars as the Doormouse in this, a charming rendition of the Lewis Carroll classic! I personally can’t WAIT to see a Depp-free Mad Hatter! 7 PM. Killarney Secondary School. Tickets $10 at door (limited)
HOW I MET YOUR MONDAY.
There may or may not be a new episode of this charming television hit on today! If there is, tune is and lose your mind to how ravishing Jason Segel is! If there’s not, watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall on YouTube. I have no clue. Maybe this should be called “Jason Segel Day”. Rejoice! Your house. My house. Free.
EMILIE AUTUMN: FIGHT LIKE A GIRL TOUR.
I have no clue who this is, but she looks like a steampunk goth, and that’s alright I guess. It looks like a Valentine’s Day burlesque festival! I hope Cher turns up! The Rickshaw. $15/19

TUESDAY JAN. 31

MOVIE: MISS REPRESENTATION
The CSU's Women's Collective is hosting a screening of Miss Representation, a film that explores the role that the media plays in the oppression of women. A light lunch will be provided, but attendees are encouraged to bring snacks to share in the style of a “pot-latch”. Yum! 11:30 AM. CSU Lounge (Maple 116). Free!
MOVIE: MISS CONGENIALITY
I will be hosting a screening of Miss Congeniality, the classic Sandra Bullock film that explores the role that female FBI agents play in beauty pageant-related assassination cases. A light dinner consisting of popcorn will be provided, and I might be able to scrape up some sodas. 7 PM. My house. Free!
DIVAS & DUDES
Putting the fun in fundraiser! The Frolicking Divas are an independent female production company that are looking to stage a female version of The Odd Couple and hosting a delightful evening of fun, dancing, silent auction items, and more! Eighties-themed apparel is encouraged, and a prize will be awarded to the best costume. 9 PM. The Waldorf Hotel. $12/10.
NEW MUSIC TUESDAY
From JJ: You probably already downloaded them if you care, but today sees new releases from historic artists (Leonard Cohen) and major flops (Lana Del Rey). Whatever your flavour, you’ll probably end up downloading it and listening to it once before returning to a never-ending loop of Beauty and the Beast soundtrack. The internet or a record store. Your call. Free – $15.
THE $100 WINNER-TAKES-ALL VARIETY SHOW
“Patrick Maliha hosts a show where each contestant gets up to five minutes to show off their star talent. At the end of the night, the audience votes for its favourite and the winner gets $100.” A classic formula! Something about variety shows really appeals to me; something about them is just distinctly North American. 9 – 11 PM. Fray (3980 Fraser St.). Free!

WEDNESDAY FEB. 1

FEBRUARY 1
From JJ: It's the first day of the month! A chance to revamp your New Year's resolution! A day to really think about what "leap year" means! A day to question the first "R" in February. Also to wonder why there's a D in Wednesday. What the hell! I'm so confused. In my head. All day. Price depends on your own BRAIN POWER.
MARRIAGE
With Valentine's day coming up, this is a big deal. At this forum, “moderator Amir Kamyabnejad questions why arranged marriages, often between two people who had never met before marrying, have a higher success rate.” My guess is that it's because they probably share a lot of basic cultural beliefs and practices; check out this event and find out if I'm right! 7 PM. The Grind & Gallery (4124 Main St.). Free!
JJ GOES TO CALENDAR GIRLS
This popular play about naked middle-aged women is back in Vancouver, and tonight, the Courier's Art Director JJ Brewis will be hittin' it up with his sister! If you can't make it tonight, it will be running until Feb. 26; be sure to check it out! See artsclub.ca for more details. 8 PM. Artsclub Theatre – Industrial Alliance Stage. $29 – $65.
CAPILANO U'S JAZZ STUDIES SMALL ENSEMBLE RECITAL
Want to meet some rad fellow students and jazz out hard to some jazz? Tonight at the Presentation House, third-year Jazz Studies students will be holding a recital for their Small Ensemble course. It will be jazzy, and all of these people are rad and cute, so you should check it out! Plus, tea and cookies! 8 PM. Presentation House (333 Chesterfield Ave.). $10.

THURSDAY FEB. 2

GROUNDHOG DAY
Classic holiday! I hope the groundhog doesn't see his shadow. Or maybe I hope that he does? Whichever one means that spring is coming and I can start wear booty shorts.
GROUNDHOG DAY
YAWN. You wake up. It's still groundhog day? Didn't we already do this? You look in the mirror. You have turned into Bill Murray.
GROUNDHOG DAY
YAWN. You wake up. What. What is happening. You are ripping the pages out of your page-a-day calendar; Feb. 2, Feb. 2, Feb. 2. You feel an overwhelming sense of frustration and insanity. You start to sweat and your skin becomes clammy.
GROUNDHOG DAY
YAWN. You wake up. You slept poorly and now you have woken up to realize that your nightmare continues in waking life; it is still groundhog day. You weep to yourself; your weeping turns into vocal, gutteral sobs, which turn into howls of despair.

FRIDAY FEB. 3

NO LONGER GROUNDHOG DAY
Thank goodness! You learned your lesson, and now it's tomorrow. The spell is broken. You will be forever haunted by your occult experience.
QUIET CITY #9
According to the event pages, Quiet City is a “series of deep-listening concerts in Vancouver, focused on live performances of experimental, electronic and improvised music” and it features a variety of local and touring musicians. Far out/ heavy/yeah, man. Quick VIVO story: my friend once got drunk and belligerent and kicked in the window at VIVO. 9 PM. VIVO Media Arts Centre (1965 Main St.). No price listed.
(THE WOMAN IN) BLACK (FRIDAY)
From JJ: Daniel Radcliffe’s first movie since the Harry Potter finale, The Woman In Black, premieres today! I hear it’s about a mischievous group of kids who fight off bad guys and wear sinister looking cloaks. Sounds unique! Movie theatres everywhere. Around $12 or so?
LOS CAMPENSINOS
I never saw these guys when I was a youth, but I remember that when I WAS a youth, they were super huge with all my cooler friends. I think they might be ska? 8 PM. The Electric Owl. No price listed.

SATURDAY FEB. 4

NEEDS, REAL BOYS, EEEK!
Don't be scared! Eeek! is just the name of the Courier's resident music-columnist-turnedregular- contributer/distributer, Colin Spenny. It's an early show, so you can go to this show to rock out, and then go somewhere else and keep rocking out! Extended periods of rocking out! 8 – 11 PM. The Biltmore Cabaret. $6.
STYX
Ahhh! The classic rock band Styx will be gracing our city! I've loved Styx ever since my band performed “Come Sail Away” with Boogie Monster at a yacht rock-themed night at the Biltmore. We got free drink tickets and it was utterly fun. Seriously, it's one of the best songs of all time. It's about aliens! And, one could argue, about life itself. I'm listening to it right now. 8 PM. Red Robinson Show Theatre. 70.40/80.40.
STILL LISTENING TO STYX
It's so good, guys! I would say the pinnacle of the piece comes around 4:22. Key change! “I though that they were angels, but to my surprise/they climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies!” There's really something in this song for everybody.
MONSTER JAM
Okay, there isn't actually a description of this event. It's probably a monster car rally or something, but what I WANT it to be is either a) a bunch of monsters jamming out to rock and roll, b) a canning seminar presented by monsters, c) a very, very large jar of jam that people pay money to see. 7 PM. BC Place Stadium. Mystery cost aka I'm too lazy to figure it out.

SUNDAY FEB. 5

WILCO with WHITE DENIM.
From JJ: I have never seen this band, but I probably should. They get points in my book for having really pretty art on the covers of their albums. From Celina: I went to see Wilco for free with my now-ex-boyfriend so sadly their music is now tainted for me with memories. The Orpheum. 8pm. $47.50/$39.50
THE GAT HERING OF THE FORCES OF LIGHT: UFOS AND THEIR SPIRITUAL MISSION
Yes, please. “Multimedia presentation based on British author and futurist Benjamin Creme's latest book about the divine forces seeking to assist humanity.” Yes, please! All of that. I want it. 2 PM. Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre. Free!
SEAFOOD SUNDAY
Inject some “fun” into your weekly menu by eating seafood today! Some types of seafood include clams, halibut, bass, salmon, scallops (personal favey), an entire giant squid. Vegetarians: try seaweed! Very healthy! Dinnertime. Your house. Cost of fish.


//Celina Kurz, copy editor

Enjoy it? Share this on Facebook

Comments

 
© 2011 The Capilano Courier. phone: 604.984.4949 fax: 604.984.1787 email: editor@capilanocourier.com