THE CAP CALENDAR
Feb. 20 - Feb. 26
// Celina Kurz

MONDAY FEB. 20


MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR WHITNEY HOUSTON <3

MY FRIEND STEPHANIE'S BIRTHDAY
Stephanie is so awesome! She is beautiful, like Adele, and she's a makeup artist so she's really good at doing makeup (which is really awesome because I don't know how to do makeup at all). She also shares my inability to not talk in a baby voice when she sees a puppy. Happy birthday, Stephanie!

SINGERS TAKE NOTICE
Musica Intima is going to be having auditions! Eep! Only THE BEST vocal ensemble in Vancouver! Auditions will be on Mar. 5 and 10, and if you're interested, send a “performing and education-related CV, one short recording/mp3 or link to a video/audio recording online of your solo singing (recommended), [and a] letter of intent max 150 words” to joanna@musicaintima.org

VERONICA FALLS
From JJ: I still don't I understand this band's name, but let me tell you that they're good, and would even be good if their band name was "Dolly and the Partons". Actually, that's kind of a cool name. I digress. Veronica Falls makes me think of the rich girl from Archie comics tripping down a flight of stairs. But the music sounds like a weird mix of beach pop with a sinister sneer. Just come! 8 PM. The Media Club. $13.

TUESDAY FEB. 21

JANN ARDEN
You guys, she's a Canadian icon! I remember I once was reading a copy of my mom's Chatelaine and she had an advice column in it! Like, she's not even qualified at all for that, but just for being such an icon they gave her an advice column. It was pretty good, to be honest. So there you have it!
8 PM. The Orpheum Theatre. $76 – $119.50

I HAVE A TUMBLR YOU GUYS
Follow me! It's ryangothling.tumblr.com and I post pictures of Ryan Gosling where I photoshopped an inverted cross on his forehead and he says stuff like, “Hey girl, my love for you is like a blacken'd horse skeleton; both majestic and horrifying.” I think it's the best idea I've ever had.

DID YOU KNOW THAT
On Feb. 21, 1878, the first telephone book was issued in New Haven, Conneticut! NOW YOU KNOW

WEDNESDAY FEB. 22

SPENCER'S BIRTHDAY PARTY
Spring break is the perfect week to celebrate birthday parties. If you want to tag along on Spencer's birthday, we'll be going to the Cambie for pre-drinks, then going to Commodore Bowling Lanes and DRUNK BOWLING, and then going to the Blarneystone for SWEET DANCING. I love birthday parties. 6:30 PM. Cambie/Commdore Bowling Lanes/Blarney. Cost of lane rental/beer.

SCREENING OF THE BODYGUARD
In honour of Whitney Houston (queen of pop, she's every woman, Rest in Peace, you were everywhere), Shannon Elliott, the Courier's production manager, will be hosting a screening of The Bodyguard, the classic romance film starring Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner, at her house. Tweet at her @shannonthecheet if you're interested. Snacks and kleenex will be served. 8 PM. Shannon's House. Free!

THURSDAY FEB. 23

MOVIELAND/SCOTT FORBES/DAVE PROWSE
My bff's new band, y'all! Movieland is the best. Not only is my best friend in it, but they are a four-piece kick-ass all-girl garage-rock band; basically all of my favourite things about bands. Scott Forbes and Dave Prowse are probably sweet too! 9 PM. Prophouse Cafe (1636 Venable St.). Probably $5.

IJI/HALF CHINESE/COLLAPSING OPPOSITES/FILARDO
Eep! Two amazing shows on the same day? What's a girl to do? Decisions are the worst. Half Chinese and Collapsing Opposites are two of my favourite bands AND I like them as people. And Iji and Filardo are probably sweet, too! They're from Phoenix, and it's always good to support touring bands. 9 PM. Zoo Zhop (223 Main St.). $5.

FRIDAY FEB. 24

THE NORTH VAN SOCIAL CLUB
Okay, this is the most North Vanniest thing to hit
North Van I've ever seen. But! Featuring Mind of
a Child, The Coalition, Dubai, and the Ivy League
Brawlers, this is sure to be a fun show. Also, if
you grew up in North Van, you've probably gone
to high school or university with at LEAST one
person from these bands. Seriously.
8 PM. The Narrows. Price unlisted? Free?

VICKI'S BIRTHDAY PARTY
Special birthday edition of the calendar! Vicki is Evan's girlfriend. She's really cool! I met her at a couple parties and she was really nice to me, plus, she's from Newfoundland which gives her automatic cool points. Anyway, she's probably going to be hitting up '90s night at Library Square, so come and celebrate birthdays! Evening. Library Square. $12 cover (free before 8:30).

THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS
Okay, the other day I was talking about how I wish that I could just make up dates for people. On that vein, this is the perfect date for that person in your life who maybe loves basketball! Maybe they were super sad when the Grizzlies folded and they used to want to join the NBA/WNBA! You can get nosebleed seats and sort of ironically enjoy it but also just really enjoy it. 7 PM. Rogers Arena. $26.20 – $136.70.

THE DARKNESS
I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVED/JUST LISTEN TO THE RHYTHM OF MY HEART/THERE'S A CHANCE WE CAN MAKE IT NOW/WE'LL BE (murmur) TIL THE SUN GOES DOWN. Did they make any other songs? I dunno! 8 PM. The Commodore Ballroom. $48.75.

BIG BOOK SALE FUNDRAISER
Put on by Friends of the Library, at this event you can buy a bunch of books for really cheap! I friggin love book sales like this. I went one year without expecting to buy anything but like, once you're there it's like, “Oh, that book is rad! This author is rad, I've never read that before! It's only 50 cents!” And it's supporting libraries! Best. 10 AM – 7 PM. Lynn Valley Public Library. $0.50 – $2/book

SATURDAY FEB. 24

WOOLWORM/EEK!/HERMETIC/THE COURTNEYS
Woah! Stacked! Woolworm is awesome, Eek! Is awesome, Hermetic friggin won Shindig a few years ago and is awesome, and I saw the Courtneys a few weeks ago and they fucking ruled! This is a type of show where you should mosh and drink the cheapest beer you can find and spit on the floor and wear dirty pants and SMILE because it's so fun. 9 PM. Interurban Art Gallery (1 E. Hastings St.). $10.

STUDENT LOAN FIRST RELEASE PARTY
Student Loan is a new independent record label, and they are celebrating the release of their first record. Side A of the record is My Friend Wallis – Better Things to Come, and Side B is Watermelon – How I Came. The show features My Friend Wallis, Watermelon, and Koko, and will probably be awesome because the air will be full of the joy of record releases! 9 PM. The Astoria (769 E. Hastings St.). Price unlisted.

VANCOUVER COMEDYFEST CLOSING NIGHT GALA
Featuring Bob Odendirk and David Cross! I'm old and boring so I don't know who Bob Odendirk is, but David Cross is sweet. I have only watched a little bit of his stand-up and mostly just love him for Arrested Development, but he is clearly a very funny man. “I blue myself”!!! This should be good, guys. 7 PM. The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts. $40 – $60.

PLASTIC ACID ORCHESTRA W/ MARIA IN THE SHOWER
Exciting! Maria in the Shower is a “folk cabaret” comprised of “wandering minstrels, entertainers cut from old cloth, storytellers traveling often and gathering tales as they go,” and the Plastic Acid Orchestra promises an “epic contemporary, rock-infused symphonic world.” Mind-boggling descriptions; this could be rad as heck. 7 PM. The Vogue Theatre. $20 advance/$30 at door.

SUNDAY FEB. 26

STEPHANIE'S BIRTHDAY PARTY
Okay, so Steph's birthday was on Monday (remember, I put it up there) but she's not celebrating until today. I told you it was birthday week at the calendar! She's gonna go to the Old Spaghetti Factory and then to Vinyl to do some sweet dancing. Seriously, there's gotta be someone out there who just loves going to strangers' birthday parties. 7 PM. Old Spag Fact/Vinyl. Cost of food/drink/cover/present!

AN EVENING FOR AMY
This is such a big day for the Courier! This is Art Director JJ Brewis' pet project and (I'm gonna be singing at it lol). Anyways, you can check out the article in this week's paper to get a more serious idea about what this event is, but basically, it's raising awareness and money for women struggling with addiction and you should check it out! 8 PM. North Shore Credit Union Centre for Performing Arts. $25.

DEEP PURPLE
Woah! You guys! This is some seriously classic shit. My dad, I'm pretty sure, used to love Deep Purple. As far as I remember, they're really psychedelic …? Anyway, I feel there are going to be a lot of middle-aged dudes who used to smoke a lot of pot at this show, which would be kind of awesome in and of itself. 7:30 PM. Queen Elizabeth Theatre. $78.50 – $98.50.

BIG BOOK SALE FUNDRAISER HALF PRICE DAY
Okay, same event as on Friday (and it's actually happening on Saturday as well, from 10 AM – 4 PM), except today, everything is half price! Yeah, it'll be a little picked over, but if anything, that just cuts out on stressful decision-making. I hate having to leave things behind! 12 – 4 PM. Lynn Valley Main Library (1277 Lynn Valley Rd.). $0.25 – $1/book.


//Celina Kurz, copy editor

Enjoy it? Share this on Facebook

Comments

 
© 2011 The Capilano Courier. phone: 604.984.4949 fax: 604.984.1787 email: editor@capilanocourier.com