THE CAP CALENDAR
Feb. 13 - Feb. 19
// Celina Kurz


MONDAY FEB. 13

ANTI-VALENTINE'S DAY SHOW
Or, as it says on their event page, “The Nightmare Before Valentine's Day.” This sweet show features Gold&Youth, Philoceraptor, and awesome Vancouver sweethearts Watermelon. Seriously, I would totally ask Watermelon to be my Valentine if music was people and I hadn't decided to be super goth this Valentine's Day. 9 PM. The Biltmore. $8.

A BLESSING ON THE MOON
Presented as a part of the Chutzpah! Festival, this piece of music-theatre is based on the book of the same name by Joseph Skibell, and tells the “surreal and magical tale” of a man killed in wartime Poland searching for the afterlife. Featuring the Warsaw Village Band, this is sure to be a very cool and spooky bit of theatre! 8 PM. Norman & Annette Rothstein Theatre. $26/22/16

A PERSONAL NOTE
A while ago on this calendar, I made fun of Bon Iver. I think I said something like “I don't get why everyone comes over him”, or something along those lines. I just want to officially rescind that little moment of making-fun, because over the last two days, I've really been getting into For Emma, Forever Ago. It's really a very beautiful album and it tugs at my heartstrings in a really aching kind of way.

TUESDAY FEB. 14

VALENTINE'S DAY
It's here! The perfect day to express how you feel to the people that you love. Some choose to do this with chocolate, dinner dates, perhaps even large romantic gestures such as proposing via Jumbotron. I'm going to express my feelings by dressing like a goth.

12TH ANNUAL PEOPLE'S PROM
A sweet and rad dance party where everyone is encouraged to dress up really crazy and beautiful and they give out prizes and it will be way better than your “real” prom where you drank so much you blacked out and slapped your best friend. Sarah Vitet, editor-in-chief, endorses this event! Also it's Valentine's Day, so what better way to celebrate love than to dance and party? 8 PM. The Waldorf. $10.

TOTAL CHINESE BUFFET OF LOVE & HATE
This actually sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate Valentine's Day: all-you-can-eat Chinese/Japanese buffet plus live stand-up comedy! Eating buttloads of Chinese food is the kind of thing that anyone can enjoy, single or committed! 7 – 10:30 PM. Kentizen Chinese Cuisine (Tinseltown Village, 88 E. Pender St.). $25/30.

SINGLES VALENTINE'S SPEED-DATING PARTY
This. Is. The. Most depressing party I can imagine. I think I would actually kill myself before I went to a “speed-dating party” at the Blarneystone. Can we rename this event? “A Bunch Of Lonely Drunk People Looking To Bone.” There. At least that's honest. 6:30 – 8:30 PM (with DJ's after til 2 AM). The Blarneystone. No price listed.

EMMA POSTL TRIO AT THE KOZMIK ZOO
I'm going to this, so if you wanna hang out with me and listen to some beautiful noises, you should come. Also, feel free to dress like a goth and then we can look like hilarious jazz-goths, rare subgroup of goths. Also, all jazz standards are love songs! So like, if you're emotionally stable and in a relationship, it'll be pretty romantic, except for the weird goth crying in the corner. 8 PM. The Kozmik Zoo. $5.

WEDNESDAY FEB. 15

MAKEOUT WEDNESDAY
This is an internationally recognized holiday wherein, if Valentine's Day was too superdepressing for you to function, you can just find someone and, without any pressure, just make out with them in a closet or something. No fucking presents, no colour scheme, none of that shit; just pure, consensual make outs. The way love was supposed to be.

NOORD NEDERLANDSE DANS
One of Holland's premiere contemporary dance academies graces Vancouver as a part of the Chutzpah! Festival. According to the LA Times, “the audience responded with nothing less than a collective sigh at the fragility, beauty and, finally, the resilience of life.” Sigh! You can also catch the on Feb. 16 and 18; see www.chutzpahfestival.com for more details. 8 PM Norman and Anne Rothstein Theatre. $26/22/16.

LEN ARULIAH SEXTET
This sextet features “Len on soprano and alto saxes, Jared Burrows (guitar), Joe Poole (drums), Colin Maskell (tenor sax), Brent Gubbels (bass), and Lorne Kellett (keyboards).” Aruliah's compositions are heavily influenced by Kenny Wheeler and are really, really cool; be sure to check this out! Aruliah is from England, so we're pretty lucky to get to hear this stuff. 8 PM. Presentation House (333 Chesterfield Ave.). $10.

THURSDAY FEB, 16

CHICAGO
Definitely confused this band with the band Boston in my head just now. But still! Classic rock! Who doesn't love it? I hope that Chicago is classic rock. I clearly don't know very much about them, but I'm assuming they're similar to Boston, but like, a couple states over (ha ha ha). 8 PM. Red Robinson Show Theatre. $116/96.

DAVID HASSELLHOFF
When I first saw this I thought it was a joke. David Hassellhoff? I thought to myself. Isn't he in rehab or something? But no! As a part of Vancouver ComedyFest, we get to see David Hassellhoff. Is he even funny? I always thought of him as a more laugh-at than a laugh-with. 7 PM. The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts. $36.50 – $44.50.

DON QUIXOTE
Don Quickzote! That romantical, getting-in-ladypants-famous, wacky guy! The National Ballet of Cuba will be performing this classic piece in Vancouver for today until Feb. 18, so be sure to snap up some tickets while they're still in town. 8 PM. Queen Elizabeth Theatre. $58.75 – $109.50

SWEET SHOW AT THE BILTMORE
It's a sweet show, okay? Featuring Lost Lover's Brigade, Chains of Love, Ville Kulla, and the premiere performance of Slim Fathers. The first time I saw Lost Lover's Brigade, it was an acoustic performance, and I just remember being completely blown away by the songs and the voice. Check it out, please. 8 PM. The Biltmore. $8.

FRIDAY FEB. 17

TECHNICALLY SPRING BREAK
You know what you have to look forward to? Nine sweet, sweet days of no responsibility (other than, I guess, studying for that midterm you have next week; but it's so easy to forget about that) and no school. I'm going to eat popcorn for every meal, finish watching Buffy, and have some sweet hang time with my besties. So stoked, guys. I'm going to be blissful.

MAC'S SWEET BEER PONG PARTY
Mac Fairbairn, tall, brunet ex-Courier employee, is throwing a “beer pong tourney” at The Narrows. It'll be off the hook! 8 PM. The Narrows. Free!

BLEATING HEARTS ALBUM RELEASE SHOW
Bleating Hearts are a sweet 8-piece indie rock band who have been around for what seems like ages but are releasing their first record, so get excited, people! The album will be on sale at the show for a mere $5, and opening the night will be Korean Gut (super good) and Shawn Mrazek Lives! (he has a really cute kid and he drummed for The Doers!). 8 PM. The Waldorf. $8.

SHOW ME LOVE: '90S DANCE PARTY
Who doesn't love the '90s? If you answered, “Me, I'm the one who doesn't love them,” then I'm very sorry, I don't want to have a conversation with you because it will only end in tears (yours). If you continue talking, and say, “I don't really like dance parties either,” then I've probably already left the room because my rage has consumed me. 9 PM. Library Square Public House. $12 cover.

ICE CREAM SOCIAL
If the '90s ain't your thang, maybe you at least like the charming era popularized recently by such shows as Mad Men? Perhaps you at least love the dance-friendly sounds of early rock 'n roll? “No,” you respond, you person who I do not understand. “I do not enjoy it, I find those sounds unpleasant.” All right. It's cool. I – I can handle this. 10 PM. The Biltmore. $10.

SATURDAY FEB. 18

BILL YOU MURRAY ME? GROUP ART SHOW
This sounds hilarious and so fun! This event promises to be a “one-off night of debauchery … Guests are expected to bring red toques, housecoats with pipe in hand and be bearded.” Expect a plethora of Bill Murray themed art; the best kind of art(?). 7 PM – 2 AM. The Fall Gallery (644 Seymour St.). Price unlisted.

FAMILY SCIENCE DAYS
“Touch live sea creatures, create an earthquake, and see the invisible all in one place” UM OKAY. See the invisible? God, nature is so fantastic, so magical. Create an earthquake? PLAY GOD? This event is happening tomorrow, too, so be sure to check it out. 11 AM – 5 PM. Vancouver Convention Centre – West. Free!

BETTY WHITE
This lady is just the sassiest woman, and I love her for that. When it comes to old women, Betty White might be the only person I'd be more stoked to see than a) either of my grandmas b) the Queen. As a part of the Vancouver Comedy-Fest, she'll be doing two shows, one at 7pm and one at 9:30pm. 7/9:30 PM. The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts. $50 – $145.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS VS. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Seriously guys, there are so many better things to be doing tonight than watching hockey in a bar/at your friend's house/at Rogers Arena/ever talking about hockey ever again. But if you insist, tonight there is one of those things that I hate (a sports game). 4 PM. Rogers Arena. Astronomically overpriced.

SUNDAY FEB. 19

GHIBLI PARTY IN MY GARAGE
Everyone's invited! Bring your sleeping bags and we'll all loll about on the floor and watch anime for six or seven hours; it will be a transformative experience. I'm making crazy popcorn and I'll buy some delicious soda and it'll be awesome. Spring Break is coming up, no school tomorrow! Bring some snacks! We'll order pizza! 4 PM – 1t AM. Celina's House . Free!

DIE ANTWOORD
Claire says, “I don't even know how … um … I dunno, it's just weird how they're obviously a satire of something but no one really knows what they're satirizing … I can't believe you're typing this fast!” I don't know anything about Die Antwoord aside from them being “freaky” so I made Claire say something lol. Thanks Claire! 8 PM. Commodore Ballroom. $40.50.

MARGARET CHO
So many funny women, such a small city, Vancouver can't handle itself! Also a part of the Vancouver ComedyFest, comedienne Margaret Cho will be sassing us hard with some rad stand up. Check it out! 8 PM. The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts. $35 – $75

BENNY GREEN TRIO
This trio features Peter Washington on bass, Kenny Washington on drums, and Benny Green on piano, touring the first trio record made by Green as a group leader in ten years. A bunch of my friends are skipping my Ghibli sleepover for this, so I'm sure it will be good. 8 PM. The Jazz Cellar. Price unlisted.


//Celina Kurz, copy editor

Enjoy it? Share this on Facebook

Comments

 
© 2011 The Capilano Courier. phone: 604.984.4949 fax: 604.984.1787 email: editor@capilanocourier.com