BLOWJOB WEEK
The river runs red and I think I’m dyin’

There is no other expression that makes me, ahem, see red more than “Blowjob Week.” Seriously, you’re going to tell me that not only are you going to bleed for five to seven days and suffer possibly excruciating cramps while worrying about possible leakage in the middle of a midterm, but now you have to make sure your boyfriend gets off? No, thanks. As Samantha Jones says, “Honey, I only give it to get it.”

Okay, so maybe your period doesn’t sound like the sexiest of times. Which is exactly why you and your partner should be screwing like rabbits that week. Part of your job of being in a relationship is making the other person feel desirable, no matter how much they aren’t at a given time.

Plus, the sex is just plain good once you get over the mess. I’m sorry to say, but there is no time I’m able to get off faster than during that five day block. Hormone levels are up, I’m no longer feeling PMS symptoms, and sex alleviates cramps, due to contraction of the muscles.

Sex during your period will change your cycle. I have found that just when I think my period’s done I’ll have sex and it seems to keep on trucking. It’s sort of like a plunger effect or something (again, not the hottest, but deal with it). I unfortunately had to learn that the hard way; I lost my virginity on what I thought was the day after my period. Turns out it was actually the last day of my period. It was a scarring moment for both of us; me, because of the embarrassment, and for him because he genuinely thought he had broken me in some horrific way. It was actually pretty funny, in retrospect. But still, loses its charm after the first time. For other women, sex makes their period lessen.

The cleanup really isn’t as bad as you think it’s going to be – most of the time. Just try to schedule your sexy times when you’re flow’s the lightest. Make sure to put a dark-coloured towel under you. Conversely, you can also have sex with the Diva cup or a diaphragm in place, and keeps the red tide at bay for a little bit. Condoms mean less mess as well. The Diva Cup is NOT a form of birth control, FYI. And just because you’re bleeding doesn’t mean you can’t get pregnant. It’s common for women to spot occasionally, mistaking it for their period. I don’t have a lot of faith in the rhythm method because most women’s rhythm tends to be pretty unpredictable.

My boyfriend became less bothered by period sex when he discovered a trick – keeping boxers on, and sticking his wang out through the little unbuttoned peep hole. If you’re hot and bothered enough, you get over it pretty quick, and it doesn’t make the sex feel any different. And I quote: “Well, that way I don't get my balls covered in blood.” He's the romantic type, my man.

Some people can give/receive oral sex while Aunt Flo’s in town. I’m not one of those people, nor have any of my partners ever been to my knowledge, but that doesn’t really mean it’s an issue. If you do decide that you want to give it a go, or if you already do, remember that now’s the time to be even more careful if you and your partner haven’t been tested, because the risk of transmitting STIs is a lot higher when blood is concerned. Dental dams are an absolute necessity.

I realize now that I’m not making this very sexy, and really, it isn’t. I could lie to you and say it’s all about being in tune with your body, and that your blood is tied to the earth, and how very fuckable that all is, but honestly, sometimes you just want to get your rocks off. If your partner shows some hesitation, hold out for a bit and you’ll find out just how fast they’re willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience to get theirs.



//Megan Drysdale
Columnist

Enjoy it? Share this on Facebook

Comments

 
© 2011 The Capilano Courier. phone: 604.984.4949 fax: 604.984.1787 email: editor@capilanocourier.com